Friday, April 29, 2011

Getting Older...I Guess.

28 April 2011
I’m sitting in my trailer at 9:00 pm on a Thursday night. Usually about now I am just rolling into the driveway and about to be showered with hugs from the kids (unless there is a new movie on the Disney channel…actually the hug showers happened the first couple of times I came home…now 50/50). I have work in Tucson in the morning so had to stick around a little longer. I worry being gone so much has become the new normal for the kids. While Jill bears the brunt of home life (t-ball, football, piano lessons, homework, school, discipline, dinner, baths etc. etc.) I have a quiet trailer to contemplate the mysteries of life. I’m sure given the choice she would love the occasional peaceful trailer vacation 20 miles from the nearest town. Maybe for her next birthday I can set her up at Quail Ridge RV.

I had a disturbing Teen Wolf/Marty McFly (yes I know that’s from Back to the Future) event yesterday morning. You know the scene where Michael J. Fox discovers a 4 or 5 inch long chest hair as he slowly pieces the puzzle together that he is actually a werewolf. Well it wasn’t chest hair (sorry Jill) but a 1 cm long hair on my right ear that caught the light just right as it filtered through the trailer blinds. “What the heck is that?” I thought as I wondered how long that must have been there to achieve that kind of prodigious length. I’m graying and thinning (signs of my own mortality…at 35 I guess I can expect and accept both of those) but I can’t tolerate hairy ears. It does make me wonder how many people must have noticed my ear but failed to mention anything. It has further strengthened my resolve to let others know when their fly is down or they have lunch in their teeth.

Work continues to go well here. Dr. P and everyone that works in his office is fantastic and I appreciate the warm welcome I’ve received since I’ve been here. It really makes being away from the family easier to handle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeremy, you make me laugh. I have to mention ... one important part of weekly church is family hair/ear wax inventory. As the anniversary #s grow larger, my weekly inventory reduction process has grown to include eyebrows and nostrils, as well as ear sprigs. I have a great eyebrow trimming process -- but it does include 8" sewing shears. I'll share it with Jill at anytime. The earwax removal (probably shouldn't admit this to a Dr.) is what let me know that I should have been a surgeon. With high powered LED flashlight clenched between the teeth, 8" tweezers and a steady hand, it's amazing what can be delivered from the ears.

Your one long hair ... it is simply foreshadowing!

So, let Jill know that she needs to add "hair growth assessment" to her list of weekly Sunday duties.
Suzanne

Jeremy said...

Suzanne,
Ear sprigs?! I hope I don't have that to look forward to. Hilarious. Has Charlie been putting M&Ms in his ears again?

Christopher said...

Dude, I noticed the hairy ears, but that was back in the MTC.

Jeremy said...

Chris are you sure that was my ears back then..probably Mortensens...dude is hairy.